Welcome to our Thankful Thursday post. Last week mom (Michele) got zapped by a Giant Cane Toad, which had somehow gotten into our house! These critters are deadly to dogs and cats and small animals, so she was horrified to look over and see my fur-sib Tahni staring at a Cane Toad. We’ve never had one inside the house before.
‘She’ caught it but it was too big for the carry container and it leapt out and hopped under a sofa. ‘She’ had to get under the sofa and wrestle it to get it out – by the way – did I mention it was now after midnight? There was a lot of loud swearing coming from under the sofa (and I don’t think it was from the Cane Toad. Hee Hee!) The Cane Toad is now enjoying being back out in the garden where he’s supposed to be.
Giant Cane Toads have a deadly poison which is often lethal to dogs and anyone it comes into direct contact with. ‘She’ had a very restless sleep and when she woke up around 4.30am, she had extreme vertigo – like in a G-force machine. She tried standing up but couldn’t and it 9.45am before she could even sit up. It left her feeling unwell all day, and even a bit the next day.
Some Cane Toad fast facts: toads are dangerous amphibians and a common cause of poisoning in dogs and, less commonly, they poison cats. Toads exude a milky white toxin mostly from poison glands behind their eyes, but elsewhere on their body as well. They squeeze this poison onto the surface of their skin when they are under threat. When treated roughly, they can even squirt the poison up to six foot (two meters.)
Dogs and cats are poisoned when they mouth the toad or sometimes when the toad’s poison gets into their eyes. The toad’s poison is also dangerous to humans and deaths have occurred. Some adults have even been affected when they absorbed the poison through cuts in their skin after handling a toad. (How about wrestling them under a sofa?)
‘She’ handles big 7 foot tall Kangaroos but gets zapped by a Cane Toad in her own room! Hahaha! Thankfully we can laugh about it now but it sure wasn’t funny at the time. Thank goodness we haven’t seen him again. BOL!
After hosting the Thankful Thursday Blog Hop for so many years, I’m having to learn how to write my posts in a non-host way. Its definitely different, but I’m getting the hang of it. Wishing you a great week this week and hope to see you back here real soon. *waves paw* :=o)
This is a blog hop: please go to Brianshomeblog.com to join this hop. [After my website was hacked our new security won’t let me host a blog hop so Brian very kindly took over our Thankful Thursday Blog Hop.]